Are you and your skin on bad terms? Then you’re probably making these naughty skincare mistakes. The answer to winning back your skin’s affection is to treat it with the love and respect it deserves. Beautiful skin requires commitment, not a miracle. How many of you are guilty of one (or more) of these…
1. Not washing your hands before washing your face. You wouldn’t clean a plate with a dirty cloth, so why would you clean your face with dirty hands?! In fact in some cases, there are the same amount of germs on your hands as there are in a dirty toilet bowl. Still going to touch your face without washing your hands?
2. Rubbing your face dry. Your skin is delicate, especially on your face. Patting your face dry as opposed to rubbing it not only leaves moisture on your skin instead of completely drying it out, but it prevents any unnecessary irritation and loss of elasticity.
3. Leaving your make-up on when going to bed. Make-up traps dirt and oil and holds on to those damaging environmental free radicals we’re exposed to every day. This means there is a breakdown of natural collagen (causing fine lines) and your pores get clogged (causing imperfections). It ultimately impedes on your skin’s natural regeneration which happens whilst you sleep.
4. Never exfoliating. Regular exfoliation (once or twice a week depending on your skin type) improves the results of your skincare routine. It eradicates dead skin cells to smooth and refine the skin’s texture, it dislodges dirt that is deep in your pores and it increases stimulation, enhancing blood flow to the face. It allows moisture to be readily absorbed, keeping those fine lines at bay.
5. Neglecting your neck. Overlooking your neck is very common when cleansing. There are plenty of women who have beautifully healthy and youthful faces, but when your eyes dart a little further south, their necks tell a different story. Your neck is a tell-tale sign of ageing, so make sure your cleanser makes that move.
6. Not using a broad spectrum sun protector everyday. UV rays are present come rain, cloud or shine. They are major players in premature skin ageing, so it’s important to stay protected every day, all year round.
7. Not drinking enough water. Skin is an organ made up of cells; cells are made up of water. We lose water everyday, so if your skin isn’t getting sufficient water replenishment, the lack of hydration can create dry, less resilient skin as well as those unwanted wrinkles.
8. Thinking it’s too soon to use anti-ageing products. It’s never too early to start using products with anti-ageing benefits. Whether it’s a firming eye cream here or a youth serum there, it all aids the skin in looking younger for longer. Ageing is a natural thing, but ageing gracefully is something you can have an input in.
Just remember, the best cosmetic you can wear is healthy skin!